If you're starting a new web site but haven't heard of CMS, or don't know how it applies to you, please think for a moment of its opposite, the brochure web site that conventional web designers provide:
- After it is produced, the page layout is impossible to change without a complete redesign.
- Pages often have paper-like features even when they serve no purpose (such as newspaper-like columns).
- Adding text or images, and creating / moving / deleting pages, require the often costly intervention of a web designer.
- The material on the web site can't adapt to the visitor (as with logins or "cookies").
Joomla CMS Design: the cure for the common web site
Joomla is a free system built into your Computers of South Dublin web site design to provide these main features:
- Easy changes: when you click a button and log in, your web page content opens in a word-processing editor so you can make changes to text & images on the spot.
- Easy page creation: copy new material into your web site almost as easily as sending an email message... delete and move pages just as easily.
- Easy extension:free extra software for image galleries, social networking (Facebook, Twitter, Google+), mailing lists, an online shopping cart, discussion forums, knowledge bases (online Help Desk, Wiki)... and many more types (see Joomla Extensions).
- Easy blogging: Joomla includes layouts where writings classified as "blog entries" are automatically grouped on as many blog pages as you need.
Joomla CMS also allows collaboration according to user privileges, so that:
- users can be given control over groups of web pages or sections or your web site
- users can have different publishing privileges: for instance, a publisher can release an article that is entered by an editor.
Most importantly: the key to a successful web site is for it to be controlled by the business owner rather than the web designer. COSD will provide you with the design, and the training when necessary, to develop your online material in the way that most suits your business.
Question: Why would we want to write our own pages? Isn't the web designer supposed to do that?
Not if you want to attract what marketing people call the ideal customer. A web designer cannot write from the level of familiarity that you have with your business or personal interest. When the writing comes from you, your targeted customer will recognise and respond to this familiarity.
You will also use a range of terms unique to your business subject, causing search engines like Google to classify your site as a pre-eminent source in your field. Such material on web sites benefits your Google ranking far more than any search engine optimisation "tricks."
For long-term success with customer attraction and search engine rankings, it is vital to think of a CMS web site as an investment, with your supplementary writing building up the equity. If you continue to create and update pages on your products, services, and subject matter of your industry, your site will pull far ahead of the static designs of your competitors.
New CMS designs from COSD will include a full stock of pages: from writing that you provide at the time, plus any material from your old web site. Your design plan may also include new material based on your outlines (see online copywriting).
What you get from COSD, as opposed to other CMS designers
No maintenance fees: Your CMS design is yours to keep, with no hosting charges or licensing costs. You are free to move it to another server if you like.
No proprietary software: Be extra wary of firms that charge annual fees, because it generally means your site will lose its content-managed features if you ever move away from that provider.
A unique, custom template: graphic design to your specifications based on a survey of your industry, your favourite web sites, and a gallery of template selections showing a range of available features.
High development standards: all COSD Joomla template designs have:
- Print friendliness: no useless navigational features on your printed page, no cut-off pages... every page prints as sharp as a news sheet just from the Print button on your browser.
- Standards-compliant layouts: CSS, table-free, and source-ordered: for search engine performance and accessibility.
Business presence in Dublin, Ireland: to suit close collaboration or training requirements. Regardless of your location, COSD always provides close feedback with unlimited email contact, so you can review the developing site online as each stage of development meets your testing and approval.
- Contact COSD for
- a free email quote for your CMS design based on your detailed requirement
- a free email estimate for adding CMS capabilities and structure to your existing web site design
- a free live demonstration of the Joomla software in your Dublin home or office, or on the COSD premises.
- Read on to Responsive web design
- Last Updated on 07 October 2012