Promoting security & sovereignty into a bright future with Cardano
2021-07-29: COSD authored //stake extension to standard Cardano URI Scheme finally completed with multi-pool links… the first step to an information-rich delegation experience, including crowd-sourced portfolios 😎
- By doing more with less, to keep Cardano sustainable for everyone.
- For the "pool margin" of your ada delegation to fund our ongoing development of Cryptocurrency Security tools, Linux Migration Methods, and our Cardano Improvement Proposal (CIP).
Pool details & contacts
- 2% pool margin / variable fee
- ₳340 epoch fixed fee (the minimum)
- Statistics: COSD on PoolTool / COSD on AdaPools
- Email (preferred): email@example.com
- Cardano Forum: @COSDpool
- Telegram: @COSDpool
- Relay hosts in New York and Frankfurt behind VPC firewalls. Servers with simple, robust architecture designed to quickly retask and rebuild in response to network outage or security threats.
- Pool resources managed only from security hardened Linux desktops with encrypted off-site backup, with all keys managed on our signature cold key management environment, the Frankenwallet.
- Robert Phair - CV (systems architect with 30 years in security, design & devops, having vast & diverse experience in small to enterprise UNIX operations)
Economics, environmental friendliness and sustainability
We started with nothing but a pledge, and will always run on a low budget.
Our current configuration of 3 systems (one block producer and two relay nodes), with memory and CPU cycles to spare, costs US$0.66 per system-day for a total daily budget of $2 which makes our configuration achievable by operators across the lowest economic sectors in the world. From our August launch through the end of 2020 our total operating cost was $205 (in addition to an incalculable amount of work, having an unguessable labour cost).
We began with a DigitalOcean $100 coupon (a referral link), which would allow any similarly configured new pool to launch and run for 50 days without spending a penny: enough time for operators to prove the feasibility of their pool and attract staking within their communities or from institutional supporters of their professional, financial, geographical, social or ethnic qualities.
UPDATE 2021-08-16: As per the increasing demands of the Cardano network we have doubled our server capacity, also doubling our hardware cost to the anticipated $4 per day... though we still have no plans to grow beyond our single pool. 😇
We are entirely Virtual, as opposed to Physical: for a clean environmental footprint.
Our cloud-only configuration gives us the same efficiency and environmental friendliness as all others that are entirely cloud-based, especially compared to pools constructed from local hardware. The term "bare metal" commonly used as a marketing catch phrase implies physical resources, energy consumption, redundant home broadband connection & equipment, and manufacturing overhead (i.e. generally unreclaimable environmental waste) far in advance of the slice of cloud resources that it actually takes to run a competitive Cardano node network entirely via the Internet.
The cloud approach also implies zero (or near zero) local power consumption, office space, transportation expenses, and environmental office waste. Our eco-friendly management console (Dell Optiplex 980 Eco) is a low-energy model, still in service 11 years after manufacture in 2010, and still running efficiently & securely thanks to Linux installation and SSD upgrades. And our Frankenwallet installation (first implemented itself on an 8 year old SATA HD cast off as rubbish) has made it unnecessary to procure a second machine for secure stake pool & pledge key generation and storage (as all Cardano stake pools are still advised to do in official documentation).
Our model is reproducible in low-tech countries.
The region of Asia from where we operate is subject to frequent power and Internet interruptions, so founding & maintaining the COSD pool with total availability here has helped establish that Cardano nodes & stake pools don't need Western style fast broadband and perfect electrical power to run. There is a further argument that perfect power and Internet themselves cannot ultimately be sustainable... at least not for everyone in all countries and at all economic levels. In the meantime we are proving every day that our model can be used by the world's most environmentally and economically challenged who wish to run their own stake pools… and, coming soon in 2021, smart contract-based businesses.